Thursday 13 May 2021

My Music Video

 

My Music Video - 

This is my final result of my music video to the song "In my Room" by Frank Ocean. The filming style and editing style is heavily inspired by music videos shown in my inspiration presentation. 

When it came to how i applied what i learned from Andrew Goodwin and Carol Vernallis's music video theory's. I had some actions such as the strobe lighting effect, appear in the music video when the lyrics "FLASHING" were being sung in the song. I also used the concept by Andrew Goodwin, Notions of looking, in my music video. The clips of the actor talking and staring directly into the lens of the camera and at the audience is when the words "Quit being violent with me, Quit being violent with me" and the "You make me violent" these lyrics were sung directly to the audience, making them feel a part of the music video and concerned for the actor as to why she's asking people or something to quit being violent with her. however hopefully throughout the next couple of clips i was able to give the impression that those words are all just in her head, tormenting her thoughts.

Pre planning allowed me to become even more creative when it came to the editing process, however you can never have enough shots! The multiple styles of makeup also allowed the similar style of shooting to appear completely different even if it was the same backdrop and model. Giving even more variety to my shots.

Weaknesses:

I tried researching multiple videos and websites to figure out how to get the effect where there was multiple people in the shot but i couldn't figure it out in time so i tried a few different techniques of overlaying different shots to make it appear that there was more than one person in the entire video. 

If i could go and redo this whole unit, i would have chosen a song that was better suited for more of a narrative music video as i believe it would have been easier to follow when editing, because this video had no story behind it so it got harder as i went on to get creative with how to create creative shots with limitations.

I would also improve my filming equipment as it was obvious that i wasn't in a studio, the backdrop didn't look professional at all so i think it just made the whole music video look very unprofessional. I also should have shot more shots as, when i got to the editing portion, i realised that i didn't have enough footage to cover the whole song so for part of it, there are some parts where i reused clips and edits to fill the whole song.

Strengths:

The variety of editing techniques I used throughout the entire music video and how I was able to overlap multiple effects onto each other to give even more intense illusions and visuals throughout. Filming on a tripod made it a lot easier for the shots to be at similar height as well as making sure certain angles were able to be captured.

Another strength of mine would be the camera/camera angle! i believe this was a strength of mine because I thought ahead of shootings and had multiple ideas planned out on how I wanted to edit the music video so I knew before hand that I wanted lots of shots that I could possibly use multiple times as well as shots where the actor is positioned at certain angles or certain positions from the camera so it allowed me to overlap clips while editing. Knowing all of this beforehand really helped while editing as I had lots of clips to experiment and work with.

I used as much lighting as I possibly could with the equipment I had on me at the time! This consisted of handheld lightings with red, blue and yellow filter sheets that could be stacked to create other colour options too, these were key to the video visuals as they added better visual aspects as well as more depth and meaning to the video too because the coloured used at certain times can be linked to moods throughout the video. I enhanced or diffused these clips with coloured while editing depends on what type of vibrance and style, i desired during that clip of the music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Practical Skills Evaluation

Evaluation: Over the entire unit my practical skills and knowledge of these skills have also increased a lot since the beginning of the year...